Monday, January 23, 2012

009 Did Mahatma Gandhi believe in homoeopathy or allopathy?


Did Mahatma Gandhi believe in effectiveness of Homoeopathy? I doubt. Had he lived longer after independence without being assassinated, he would have probably found out the truth and enlightened Indians. Gandhiji wrote to Gulzarilal Nanda (our acting Prime Minister when Jawaharlal Nehru and Lal Bahadur Sastri died).- date: May 27, 1944.Source: Volume 84. Complete Works of Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhiserve.org has it. LTRC.iiit.ac.in has it.

LETTER TO GULZARILAL NANDA

[After May 27, 1944]
CHI. GULZARILAL,
"... I read your letter to Pyarelal. Dr. Das visits me from time to time. Dr. Chugh has not impressed me, Dr. Das has. He does not propose to administer any medicine to me. By all means bring over anyone you like from among the names that you suggest. I wish I could have faith in homoeopathy and biochemic medicines, but I don’t. Now I am thinking of taking allopathic drugs to get rid of the hook-worms and the amoebae. Your work seems to be going on well. Can one say that you have completely recovered? ..."

ybrao-a-donkey's observations:

I am happy that Gandhiji did not believe in homoeopathy and biogchemic remedies.

Gandhiji was said to be an ardent fan of nature cure. He wrote a small book also about it, which I read it in my boyhood. I am unable to trace it now. Did he lose his faith in nature cure by 1944?

There are some quotes in circulation which suggest that Gandhiji supported homoeo. Here is one such quote:
"... Homeopathy cures a larger percentage of cases than any other method of treatment, and is beyond all doubt safer, more economical, and the most complete medical science. -- Mahatma Gandhi + his photo, along with the photos of Einstein, Mark Twain, Yehudi Menuhin, and David Beckham. "


This quote, I got, at http://thevitalforce.net/pages/testimonials.html. They are using it as a testimonial. There are also other homoeo sites using the quote. We have to check up when Gandhiji said that.

To continue adding / deleting / editing.

No comments: